Tyre trade folks are seeing a lot of dangerous tyres on vehicles with current Warrants of Fitness. The Campaign for Better Tyres says this is a consequence of 12 month Warrants of Fitness (WOF’s) where vehicles tyres decline dramatically in the 12 months between WOF tests. For instance, a vehicle may pass it’s WOF with front tyres that are worn below the tread on one side but have road legal tread over the other 75% of the tread.
The big problem with WOF compliant tyres with 75% road legal tread is that the other 25% is highly likely to wear down to the steel belts or explode long before the next WOF test. Of course there are some people crying out for random police road checks and road blocks etc to enforce legal tyre standards but do we really want to end up living in a police state when the issue can quite simply be resolved by reverting to 6 monthly WOF checks where vehicle defects can be identified before they progress too far? And surely it is better for our police force to target illegal drugs and violence etc than chase after consumers with worn out tyres.
We recommend motorists check their tyres every 3 of at least 6 months for cracks, bulges and low tread. Unfortunately the best way of doing this is to jack each wheel up and spin them to look for defects or at least bend down or lay on the ground so you can see the inside edge of the tyre. Alternately you could get your tyres checked at a tyre shop. But the best tyre safety check is for an impartial WOF inspector to raise the vehicle on a hoist and rotate each tyre under a high powered light while searching for defects; no other check comes close in terms of effectiveness.
Many motorists will never check their tyres, some of this may due to laziness but for many drivers the issue is simply outside of their skill set. 6 monthly WOF checks will always be a better option than police enforcement traps that load vehicle owners up with penalties and as an added bonus, 6 monthly WOF checks would save lives!
Tyresales has a huge range of cost effective tyre options to ensure your winter motoring safety and WOF compliance.